Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Ecuadorian Adventures (feat. Birthday)

Hello fellow literate people. It pleases me that you can read.

On the 4th of May, in the wee hours of the morning (8am ugh) I made my way to the International Airport in Lima. I checked in for my flight to Guayaquil, Ecuador which was to leave at 10:30 - ish. There was a line for security; very rare for this Airport. When I finally made it through security and customs, I made my way to the gate to sit and wait rather impatiently for the boarding time. While I waited, I drank my last Inca Kola that I would set eyes on the next couple weeks. I savored the flavor of this florescent yellow drink that I cherish so deeply. While I waited, I made friends with an elderly (but not too elderly) couple. They were also from the States (Florida). They made more than pleasant company during the wait. Once the time to finally board the plane came, we all followed the norm and waited in line and all the shabang. In the plane, the flight attendant decided that I didn't speak a lick of Spanish and talked to me only in English.

After 2 hours, we touched down in Guayaquil, Ecuador. I made my way through customs, where the man stamping my passport looked at me and asked how old I was. I told him, 16. "I saw the stamps in your passport from Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca. You are traveling on your own? From The States, to all of Peru, and now to Ecuador?" Once I explained I was an exchange student with the ever prestigious Rotary International, he stamped my passport and wished me luck for the remainder of my time as an Exchange Student. I managed to make it through Ecuadorian Customs without drawing any unwanted attention or being accused of being a terrorist. So, successfully. Once I finally walked out to where the people are waiting to pick the travelers up, I scanned the crowd for Ghimel, my friend who I went to visit. I heard someone scream, "Emily!" and I snapped my head in the direction. I saw Ghimel accompanied by her family, waiting for me. I was greeted with hugs all around.

Once we left the airport, the family took me exploring around Guayaquil. Occasionally, we got lost while driving, but only for a second or two. We walked the boardwalk, and climbed up the hill to where the city of Guayaquil took its roots. After 445 steps, we made it to the top. But, then we climbed a lighthouse which I approximate had 60 steps. So, after 505 steps, I made it to the top point of Guayaquil. The view is breathtaking and unlike any other. The landscape of Ecuador is mostly mountainous. Near the coast, the mountains become more like large rolling hills, but, as I come from flat-as-a-pancake-Illinois, they are mountains to me.

After the day of exploring, Ghimel, her little sister, and I stayed in Ghimel's apartment in Guayaquil. Ghimel had classes the next two days, but her sister and I waited for her in the coffee shop on the campus, which had wifi (score!). After a couple days, we ventured to Portoviejo, where Ghimel's family lives. We explored Portoviejo and drove the the nearest beaches for a few days, before Ghimel and I boarded a bus on Thursday night for 7 hours to make the journey to Quito, the capital city of Ecuador.

Quito is located in the Andes Mountains. The altitude is 9,350 ft, and it didn't affect me one bit, thankfully. The weather in Quito consequently is cold. Very cold. It also rains. So, it's cold and wet. We stayed in Quito for only a couple days. We stayed in the house of Ghimel's aunt. Her and her family were very welcoming to us. The first day, we went up the Teleferiqo. the skyline ride of Quito. Sadly, when we went up, it was cloudy so we couldn't see anything. After, we explored Quito. Ghimel and I went to the historical center, and it started to rain right as we arrived. We stayed long enough to take photos, but went to the nearest mall to dry off right after. We realized that we had become lost and were on the opposite side of the city as her aunt's house. So, we walked for what seemed like forever and went on so many trollies through the city. We got off at the wrong stop and become even more lost. We asked taxis to take us where we wanted to go (a mall near her aunt's house) and they didn't want to take us. Also, in a city of about 1.6 million, there are no taxis. NONE. We waiting for a good 10 minutes on a busy street before the first taxi pulled over. And, every time we changed positions on the street, a taxi would pull over to where we were to pick someone up. We just had really bad luck. Finally, we managed to grab a taxi to the mall. When we were at the mall, we forgot the address to her aunt's place. So, we searched on the map an finally we remembered the reference points to tell the taxi driver. Eventually, we managed to hail a taxi and return to the house. All the while, it was raining. Once we returned to the house, we curled up in bed and had a lovely nap until the next morning.

The next day, (Saturday) we left early to go see the equator. The equator is about a 2 hour drive from the city. It's not terribly far. Once we got there, we did the usual picture taking and so on and so forth. I bought my souvenirs and we were off to yet the other location of interest. There is a village that is located in the crater of an inactive volcano. The volcano has been dormant for more than 100 years, but still. IT'S A VOLCANO. Either way, it was cool. and very cold.

That night, we traveled back to Portoviejo in bus, another 7 hour trip.

In Portoviejo, we arrived on mother's day (yes it is celebrated in South America as well). We wen out to eat with all of Ghimel's family; Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Grandparents, the whole shabang.

Monday, Ghimel and I took a day trip to Guayaquil. Guayaquil is 3 hours from Portoviejo. We took a bus both ways and were back in Portoviejo in time for dinner.

Tuesday, I turned 17! In the morning, Ghimel and I made pancakes for breakfast. That night, we went out to eat at an American restaurant in Manta, a city an hour away, with her family.

Wednesday, we went back to Guayaquil for a couple days.

Friday, we went to Portoviejo and passed around until Sunday.

Sunday, at noon Ghimel and I got on a bus to go to Guayaquil because I had a ticket to go on the flight that night to go to Lima.

We arrived at the airport at 5:45 and I went to go check in. The lady at the counter looked at my like I was crazy. She told me that the flight was supposed to leave at 6:30 and I had thought it was going to leave at 7:30. I arrived before the plane left, but check in closes an hour before take off. So, I missed it only by 15 minutes. I had, apparently, read the itinerary wrong. I had to wait until the next night to leave for Lima. That night, I went to Ghimel's apartment and slept. The next day at one in the afternoon, I went to the airport and bought a new ticket to go to Lima. I was in the airport for a total of 5 hours, but I eventually made it back to Lima on Monday night.

And here I am, in Lima. Tomorrow all the exchange students are going on a trip. We first have the district Rotary conference and after we are going to see the Nasca Lines. I will be back in Lima on the 25th.

On the 28th of May, we have the Rotary good-bye dinner. Some students from the Lima kids are already going back home and it is a very sad fact that our group is breaking apart. We are all going separate ways. It reminds that I have very little remaining days. I used to count how long I have been in Peru, and now I am counting how long I have left. Twisted around.

anyways

Until Next Time!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment